Sunday, April 11, 2010

Cumin-Lime Marinade (Adobo)

Yield: 8 fluid ounces
Lime juice - 8 fluid ounces
Garlic cloves, minced - 5 each
Cilantro (optional) - 1 tablespoon
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Cumin, ground - 1 teaspoon
Cracked black pepper - 1/2 teaspoon

1. Mix together all the ingredients. Pour over the meat or fish. Refrigerate until service.

I decided to make this instead of the Tandoori chicken because I didn't want to pay 25 dollars for saffron just yet. The store I went to only had tiny limes, but I got about eight. I wound up with half the amount of lime juice I needed but made it anyway.

I used it on some chicken breasts that were the biggest I've ever seen, let alone used. Note to self: don't keep anything in this marinade for more than about four hours or so. The acidity starts to actually cook the chicken. I didn't know and kept it in overnight. Grilled it the next day and although it tasted great, it was very acidic. It must have been how long it was marinating for. Imagine if I had 8 ounces of lime juice marinating overnight instead of 4!

Future possibilities:
  • Asian-Style Marinade: hoisin sauce, sherry, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, minced garlic
  • Basic Meat Marinade: vegetable oil, worcestershire sauce, fresh thyme, minced garlic, coarse ground black pepper
  • Fish Marinade: olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper
  • Latin Citrus Marinade: orange juice, lemon juice, lime juice, achiote paste, chopped garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, pepper
  • Red Wine Marinade: red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, pepper
  • Teriyaki Marinade: soy sace, peanut oil, dry sherry, honey, minced garlic, grated gingerroot, orange zest

No comments:

Post a Comment