Sunday, April 11, 2010

Red Chili Sauce

Yield: 1 quart
Vegetable oil - 3 tablespoons
Onions, finely chopped - 3 ounces
Garlic cloves, minced - 2 each
Oregano - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin, ground - 2 teaspoons
Chili powder - 4 ounces
Chicken or Beef Stock - 1.25 quarts
Salt, to taste - 1/2 teaspoon

1. Sweat the onions in the oil. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Add the oregano and the cumin and continue to cook. Add the chili powder and cook briefly, stirring constantly. Do not let mixture burn.
2. Add the stock, whisking to remove any lumps. Simmer for about 30 minutes and reduce to sauce consistency. Strain if desired. Adjust seasoning.

This was packed with heat. It had tons of flavor too, though. I think I was confused about how much I was supposed to let it reduce to, because I came out with way less than a quart. Usually if I mess up I don't feel like trying the recipe over again, but I'd definitely do this over to get that flavor again with the right consistency.

Possibilities:
  • Green Chili Sauce: vegetable oil, onions, garlic, cumin, chicken or pork stock, green chilies, oregano, salt, jalapenos

No comments:

Post a Comment